Steps to Parish Nursing
A Guide for Congregations
- Individual (or group) in a local congregation gathers information. Learn about the concept through people, books, workshops, videos, Information Forums.
- Make initial contact with congregation’s Clergy
- Develop strategies to move forward. Explain the idea at services or group meetings.
- Write an article in church newsletter. Call a meeting of interested persons and use some resources ICHM can provide. Find an opportunity to share the vision with the congregational decision makers.
- Establish support of the Clergy in their congregation
- Initiate and establish a more formal group
- Explore ways to communicate this concept in the broader congregation
- Become recognized by the decision making process in their congregation
- Make contact with InterChurch Health Ministries
- Attend an Information Forum with your Clergy and Working Group/Health Cabinet
- Continued support of Clergy
- Involvement approved by their congregational Health Cabinet
- Broad congregational support is established
- Completion of the congregational profile
- Actively recruit a nurse with a prepared job description
- Prepare to proceed with partnership agreement
- Prepare to move into ICHM basic parish nurse education program